Sunday, November 29, 2009

Irish Beef Stew

I'm starting a blog to not only chronicle the trials and tribulations learning to cook, clean, and do other hazardous things that my mother once did, but also to teach those that will come behind me. Likely I will have very little effect on anyone, but hey, it could be fun!

Last night, I made an Irish Stew. I took a recipe from kraftfoods.com and altered it to my taste and it was AMAZING. I think it's safe to say that for the first time in a very LONG time, I made something that I wasn't scared to taste. That's not to say that it should win any awards, but I'd serve it in a restaurant one day.

Want the recipe? Here it is:

1.5 lb of beef stew meet
4-5 cut red potatoes
3-4 chopped carrots
one onion, sliced into large pieces
Good Seasoning garlic & herb dressing mix
ground up beef bullion
4 dried bay leaves
a dash of basil
a dash of pepper
1 tbs. ground coffee
2 tbs. flour
3 pieces of celery, chopped
1 can cut green beans, drained
1 can stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 can beef broth

1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot (note this says pot, not skillet, not pan... I made this mistake and had to quickly correct it).
2. Coat the beef in flour, putting it into the pot with the onions until browned.
3. Add beef broth, stewed tomatoes, dressing packet, and other seasonings and bring to a boil.
simmer, covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add all vegetables, and simmer covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Uncover and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
It was awesome. I had it for leftovers today for lunch and it was still pretty tasty. Two notes to make:
1. Next time, add Guinness. Then I might win an award.
2. Use half a can more beef broth, just to jazz it up since I added more vegetables.
That's all for now. I'm trying out a chicken pot pie stew today. I'm not sure that it's going to be worthy of posting, but I will. My kitchen is already a mess, but I'm a firm believer that if I dish takes 6 hours, then it had better be well worth it. Maybe this time I'll add photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment